19 November 2009

playing with copper sheet


'at the center of your being you have the answer,
you know who you are
and you know what you want.'
~ lao tzu
copper sheet has been randomly stamped with om & lotus punches... hole at bottom is deliberately off center signifying the journey of working towards our center... faceted amethyst used for healing properties... a stone associated with calm, healing and peace... 

'all who wander are not lost.'
~ j.r.r. tolkien
a very favorite quote of mine... drifting, letting go, relaxing, going with the flow... the word 'drifting' has been stamped randomly along with leaves on the copper sheet to evoke the feeling of, well, drifting... like leaves being carried by a stream... lapis was chosen because of the properties it contains - balancing of yin-yang, bringing mental clarity... all things that occur when we let go and set our minds free...

'we all have our own life to pursue,
our own kind of dream to be weaving...
and we all have the power to make wishes come true,
as long as we keep believing.'
~ louisa may alcott
sheet metal here has been textured and punched in many places allowing for the weaving of fibers within it... a contrast in textures tied (no pun intended) together by the flowing line of each medium.. 
did you experiment today? 


18 comments:

  1. I love what you did with the copper. I have some on order and can't wait until it comes in so I can play with pounding on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great earrings, I especially love the ones with the lapis!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorites are the ones with the Lapis, love that deep blue color!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MJ, I always enjoy reading your thoughts about the process and meaning you put into your pieces. Just as much as I enjoy your designs. These are wonderful and special. I love how you use fiber and metal, your combination of stones. It all just works.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful! It just feels like you having so much fun exploring. I love the blue beads in the second pair matched with the copper and of course am a little nutty over the fiber and metal. So cool :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, MJ! I love them all! I have been playing with copper...and my son (11) picked up a hammer and some scraps and before I knew it had made 8 Christmas-y pieces! I think we will turn them into ornaments for teachers and relatives. He got really creative. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  7. The amythest ones are my favorite but they are all very unique.

    ReplyDelete
  8. They are all beautiful, but the amethyst are my fav....and I so enjoy when you share so much of your thought process! I admire that you can remember all of the qualities of these stones, I hope to do that some day. And I sure could use me a lot of that amythest!

    ReplyDelete
  9. your copper sheets are so unique and make the pieces so beautifully rustic. love the last piece .. the way you combine fiber and copper just blows my mind!! such creativity! wow!! maire ... you never cease to amaze me!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fantastic earrings - but the last pair with the fibers are my favorite! Love how you combined it. I am fascinated by this combination, but am having alot of difficulty combining them in my work. Thanks for your unique view!

    ReplyDelete
  11. thank you - the copper sheet just accepts basically anything i throw at it, so i am grateful! and the fibers are just kind of flowing; don't know where they will take me, but it's fun excursion...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love the ones with fiber, they have strength and wimsey

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Mary,

    Love the random stamping of the om and lotus - such a wonderful pattern. Love the experiments! I'm "experimenting" or maybe developing is a better word with some wire designs lately.

    Thanks for sharing!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love all of these...hard to say which is my fav...

    ReplyDelete
  15. hmmm pounding metal? better than an hour with the therapist maybe? as always love the earrings, amazing that LMAlcott was so forward thinking considering how many constraints were put on women of her time. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the direction your jewelry is taking with the rustic copper and fibers--a very organic vibe!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love these! The lotus earrings are my favorite but they are all amazing. I was just browsing your shop so that I could see more of your jewelry. You have an amazing design style-bringing so many beads and components together and creating such attractive and unique jewelry. Just lovely

    ReplyDelete
  18. thanks for visiting my blog and commenting. you are too funny

    ReplyDelete

your thoughts and time are respected - thank you... responses back to you will arrive privately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...