20 August 2009

the forbidden 's' words

in our home, from the end of school (late june) until about now, there are a few forbidden words... 'school' and 'september'... well, the time draws near... we have been avoiding the back corner of target since july (what is it about stores not getting the concept of being in the moment?)... but i was there yesterday and saw these pencil boxes... i loved the name on them and the colors & figured/hoped those things would help to dip our collective toes into the waters of the inevitable! the bus pass has arrived for one child already... we don't bother to do bts (those commercials are changed immediately) shopping as it is always hot anyway and they just wear their summer clothes...

so i guess i feel like it's ok to officially begin making jewelry inspired by autumn... i live in nj, where we have full change of season and i love it... autumn is actually my favorite one (though i appreciate the others tremendously)... it was a little weird to be doing this as i had just gotten in from a walk in 1000% humidity - not.even.kidding. in nj summers are hhh or hazy, hot & humid - and i was sweating profusely, pretty image, right?

one of my new loves is antiqued copper... i used some pond green spacers from mary ann at linden avenue designs for these ones... they are meant to be like branches, with leaves spaced randomly... the ends are paddled for a more organic feel...

these porcelain charms by mellisa at chinook jewelry designs have been accented with mykonos greek ceramic beads in different colors of changing foliage... i realized that the color of the charms was rather like the deep red-browns that will be arriving...

'to be interested in the changing seasons is a happier state of mind
than to be hopelessly in love with spring.'
- george santayana

16 comments:

  1. Going back to school always always puts me in a different mind set....stews and roasts for dinner, sweaters and swirling leaves in the air...now that we live in the South vs Massachusetts it is a little different,I actually love having a longer summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. very pretty Maire!! it smells autumn... you go soooo fast!! but it's true that the "rentrée" as we say in france is an important element for the annual rythm..haaaaaaaa.. time.. you go so fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish we had autumn here. i have had the opportunity to spend 3 autumns in the uk. and that's about it :) but i really really love the colors and the feeling that autumn gives me. it's like a day just about coming to the end , dusk... it overwhelms all my senses and there is a certain kind of old romance about autumn. your earrings captured all that for me and they are both absolutely beautiful :) when i scrolled down to the pictures, it brought back floods and floods of memories of autumn in the uk for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are really nice Mary Jane...I adore the green in the first pair and the assymetry!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really like your new earrings! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. -judy, you are right, your mind goes in that direction, but the heat will be on for a good while through indian summer...
    -esther, i just read about 'rentree' (i am trying to find out how to get the appropriate language accenting on my keyboard)... time does go by quickly...
    -luthien, if there is a season i try to be at most my mindful it is during autumn when things change so quickly... am glad you felt those things in my earrings...
    -sharon, thank you - that pond green glass is one of my favorites...
    -sue, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the earrings, so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, more soothing jewelry! I'm in an autumn mood myself. I love autumn, the crispness, the colours. Autumn always feels so quiet to me after a hectic summer. Maybe we are both just longing for quiet and cool weather.

    ReplyDelete
  9. -thanks sandra!
    -and leann, yes, i think so too... it's just a whole other mode for me... it is savored...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful new designs Maire! I love your jewelry and seeing all your new creations! :) BTW, I finished up those charms while at the beach this week! :) I'll e-mail you later! Hope you have a fun weekend planned!

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay! i am so psyched about the charms... and thank you so very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Green is one of my favorite colors, so those beauties jumped from the screen and yelled my name! And I answered! Thank you for sharing your art. I think it's so awesome how you use the elements around you to create from within you -- super-duper FLY!

    ReplyDelete
  13. thank you so much akilah - green is one of my favorite colors too! anymore, if it's not from inside it feels empty...

    ReplyDelete
  14. Going back to school on Wednesday for my kids both at new schools...always bittersweet! But I love your fall earrings and the pictures are lovely. Thanks for sharing! Makes me feel the pull back to my studio after a week and a half hiatus! Enjoy the day! Erin

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love the color combos in the earrings and your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
  16. erin - a very busy time for sure! you do miss creating, right?
    mellisa - thanks for noticing! that bracelet was important for me psychologically... and just love that piece of you in it!

    ReplyDelete

your thoughts and time are respected - thank you... responses back to you will arrive privately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...