27 December 2011

looking forward

when i began blogging i noticed that people chose words for the new year... this interested me a great deal... 


mary jane dodd - 'nascent' pendant 2011

i chose 'nascent' a couple of years back... but it was so meaningful for me that i kept it past the 365 days... and i find it has directed my life and work... by autumn 2011, i was using the word in my work physically, connecting it to a pregnant form... 

mary jane dodd - 'nascent' triptych 2011

i end this year working diligently on a project that stems from 'nascent'... 

mary jane dodd - 'nascent' triptych 2011

mary jane dodd - 'nascent' triptych 2011

taking on those silly fears we all have - trying the new... and so i made my first mold... 

mary jane dodd - 'nascent' triptych 2011

it will be a triptych - three is a significant number... birth, life, death... past, present, future... maiden, mother, crone... emerge, evolve, fly... three graces, three norns, three fates, religious trinities... and on and on... i didn't intentionally choose 3, it chose the project... 

resin has to cure for 3 days... so i am not sure what the cast will look like... and the deadline quickly approaches... 

and once the pieces are complete, there is the photography challenge - for that is what the jurors are judging on... 

my word for 2012 is 'daring'... 

'it is not because things are difficult that we do not dare;
it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.'
~ seneca

what ideas or words guide you?

are you ready to move on to a new one? 

14 comments:

  1. love this. can't wait to see it revealed.
    my words for 2010 were 'inspire' and 'up'.
    my word for 2011 was 'focus'.
    and i think that my word for 2012 will be 'explore'.
    i am ready to try new things. to take a different path. to attempt what was once impossible.
    much love to you, miss mary jane.
    xox
    e

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm looking forward to this new year..
    i've loved your new work.
    perhaps my word for 2012 will be Release..
    in all it's many definitions

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your first mold! That's exciting. I can't wait to see how it turns out!

    My word for last year was Health. I made some great strides in that area. I'm not sure what my next word or theme will be... but I'm sure it'll come to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, that's why your work spiraled to new heights? Nascent is one of my friend's favorite words too. I'm really loving the direction of your work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your work always leaves me with wanting more..more to see...more to admire...more to contemplate.

    I stopped to read this post...then left to think about it a bit. It is so appropriate for where you are. Yes, you must leave Nascent behind. I'm not sure daring is appropriate, as I think you are beyond "daring". I think you no longer dare, but have found a natural path to the inevitable.

    I have a word too..but I think I'll blog about it in the coming days.

    Have a Blessed New Year.
    xx, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  6. E' da qualche tempo che seguo il tuo blog e il tuo lavoro e ne sono completamente affascinata! Sei la mia fonte principale di idee, di ispirazione, di sperimentazione. Provo a imitarti, ma tu sei sempre insuperabile! Sei grandiosa!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I would like " clear sight". I would like to look smack straight at things and understand the situation completely. So here's to clear sight my young twin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will have to give this some thought! I too can't wait for the unveiling!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The triptych looks so very intriguing - but I think I understand the issues with the mold. Can't wait to see the finished piece - I love the intention...
    Daring seems like a very good word and I wait with anticipation to see the things you will dare to try this year. My word has not yet revealed itself.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful piece. I like the pick a word idea too. Last year I chose "explore" this year I am planning on choosing "bead daily" very open ended but a challenge to me. Thank you for sharing the process.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm still deciding what to dare..... but I do know it has to be something that ignite's a big spark. Perhaps finding a word will help me get started.
    Congrats for making your first mold.... an exciting step forward. Wishing you all the best for 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have always picked a sentence,the first one,picked me in 2006."One day you finally knew what you had to do,and began."-Mary Oliver.This year my words came from Rumi.."Let the Beauty of what you love,be what you do"...I like to post my sentence,quote,word..all over the place,the car,in my wallet,on the fridge...everywhere.As for this new year,...the words have not picked me yet...I'm not worried,they will.One thing I know for sure,whatever it is,like you it will have something to with "taking on those silly fears"

    I am moved by your word "Daring"...ooh gives me chills just to say it out loud...especially because I am such a chicken at many many things...heehee.I cant wait to see this finished piece,your work is always so inspiring.Congrats on making the mold...oh how I wish we were neighbors..I'm a mold freak...and we would have so much fun playing.
    Big Hugs Friend,Cat

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never chosen a word before, but I think I might this year.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary Jane- you ARE daring- this is the perfect word for you! Your life these past few months has been the result of your determination and daring to make a better life for you and your children. I continue to be just so proud of your strong spirit.
    Love-
    Vicki

    ReplyDelete

your thoughts and time are respected - thank you... responses back to you will arrive privately.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...